Salad for President’s “Leeks for Dinner”
- 6 thin leeks (roughly all the same size), roots trimmed
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup homemade chicken stock
- 1 tbsp parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp small nasturtium leaves (optional)
- 2 soft boiled eggs, sliced in half lengthwise
- Remove the tough outer leaves of the leeks and discard. Trim the dark green tops off of the leeks and wash the remaining stalks thoroughly.
- Heat up a large sauté pan on the stovetop on medium heat. Add the butter and swirl it in the pan until it melts and starts to bubble. Add the leeks in a single layer and brown them, cooking on one side for 3-5 minutes. Flip and brown on the opposite side. Season with a generous pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the chicken stock. Cover and lower heat just a smidge. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until 90% of the stock has evaporated.
- Remove the cover from the sauté pan. Squeeze the lemon juice over the leeks, drizzle in the olive oil, and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a small platter, top with parsley, nasturtiums and soft boiled eggs, and serve immediately.